The Boots Cloud Centre of Excellence team (CCoE) is seeking an experienced Head of Cloud Strategy and Architecture to join our growing International IT and Advanced Analytics (IT2A) function. This role has the flexibility to work from either our London, Weybridge or Nottingham offices on a flexible office/home hybrid approach.
We are looking for people who want to challenge the ‘norm’; we want to change how we use the Cloud and help our companies who have some awesome ideas on how we help our patients and customers and the Cloud Centre of Excellence is pivotal to help our colleagues across IT and the wider business to make the most of the Cloud.
So, if you’re a great individual with the desire to make things happen and want to join a team of equally great people, please get in touch.
About the role:
As the Head of Cloud Strategy and Architecture, you will be responsible for setting the strategy for the Cloud CoE services by designing and implementing the management, monitoring, security, and privacy of Azure services to satisfy business needs and strategies. This person will work in the CCoE and will own the implementation of the cloud strategy along with the designing and introduction of new emerging technologies, public cloud services and providers that can be used to support the outcomes we are going to deliver.
You will enable cloud native solutions for new initiatives and will work across IT teams particularly other EA functions and wider IT and business stakeholders to drive and enable the migration and refactoring of on-premises applications to cloud native design and deployment methodologies. But also help develop new applications that our business will develop to be Cloud enabled.
You will mentor and work with both senior and junior developers and architects to bring them up to speed on cloud architectures emphasising modern cloud deployments within a DevOps environment.
This individual must be able to translate complex ideas, technology, and programs into language senior management can relate to and communicate with developers to resolve complex design issues.
- Develops well architected cloud solutions, optimized for cost, operations, performance, reliability and security.
- Develops and drives the cloud strategy along with the introduction of new emerging technologies and public cloud services, cloud adoption plans, cloud application design, and cloud management and monitoring strategies
- Designs target state Cloud Architecture, partnering with other areas, such as Cloud Network Architects, Cloud Solution Architects, Cloud Security Architects, and Cloud Engineering and Development teams.
- Builds Reusable Patterns for application development in the public cloud to deploy and modernize applications, provide governance around adoption, and influence application development teams on roadmaps and designs
- Ensures all technical leaders have architected resilient and robust systems. May oversee technology assessments, technology strategy reviews, and provide internal consulting to ensure all areas are practicing sound architecture hygiene.
- Translates complex ideas, technology, and programs into language senior management can relate to and performs as a key influencer on technical decisions that affect the business on a long-term basis.
- Leads the Development of metrics and scorecards to influence the technology teams on industry best practices for cloud development.
- Directs Architecture and Cloud Engineering teams in defining cloud technology strategy and roadmaps.
- Develops short- and long-range product and service strategies and plans. Oversees the execution of operating plans for specified area of responsibility.
- Reviews the competitive marketplace and makes adjustments to operational activities based upon identified information.
- Leads in a fast-paced environment and produces high-quality work under tight deadlines.
- Mentors and works with both senior and junior developers and architects to bring them up to speed on cloud architectures, including modern programming languages, micro services and container-based deployments.
What you’ll need to have:
- Azure Cloud experience and a strong knowledge of strategy and architecture
- Experience with Azure public cloud architecture, Cloud strategy, networking, security, compliance workload types, migration patterns/tools and/or experience re-architecting applications for cloud platforms.
- Experience of leading Enterprise Cloud Strategies to ensure the Cloud CoE develops the right services to support the wider IT agenda and the business strategy
- Experience with various enterprise applications and IT services, as well as software development, compliance and security, and IT operations disciplines.
- Experience with application and infrastructure cloud migrations, from on-premises-to-cloud, and from cloud-to-cloud.
- Knowledge of cloud design patterns, cloud operations and cloud cost models with experience implementing best practices or suggested improvements.
- Experience suggesting competitive and innovative technical decisions, obtaining client buy-in and delivering on commitments.
- Great presentational skills
- Ability to challenge the norm way of traditional on-prem thinking for deliver our services
- Be seen by peers and seniors are a leader in Cloud technology
- At least 3 years of experience contributing to financial business decisions in the workplace.
- At least 5 years of direct leadership, indirect leadership, and/or cross functional team leadership.
It would be great if you also have:
- Work on developing Infrastructure and Architecture plans around, Hardware Roadmap (Cloud services from Azure bare metal and Virtual Machines) , Software Roadmap (OS and Applications), and develop recommendations for Performance Engineering now and in the future.
- Certification: Solution Architect Expert.
About our team – Cloud Centre of Excellence
WBA is continuing the journey we started a couple of years ago with the Cloud. We are now embarking on establishing our International (Boots UK, No 7 Beauty Company, Boots Opticians and International Retail) Cloud Centre of Excellence which will support and develop the services we look after today.
You will have the opportunity to help set up the Cloud Centre of Excellence from the start, so you can influence how we set ourselves up for success. This is an exciting time for us as we look to build a super team of brilliant people who can help our companies maximise the opportunities the Cloud brings to organisations. From setting up the FinOps function, through to working in Architecture to develop our strategies, to developing our Engineering capability around automation and AI, to all the way to supporting the services we have and making these even better.
We have a great range of benefits in addition to the above that go beyond salary and offer flexibility to suit you; Click here to view our full list of company benefits (all rewards and benefits are subject to change and eligibility).
If your application is successful, our recruitment team will be in touch to arrange an interview and answer any initial questions you have. If you have not been successful on this occasion you will be notified by email.
You might also be interested in
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs on searching for jobs, applications, interviews and other commonly asked questions