WBA is seeking an experienced Senior Auditor to join our Global Internal Audit team in either Nottingham or Weybridge. This is a permanent role with the flexibility to work a hybrid model between home and work locations.
As our new Senior Auditor, you will work in our International Segment. This covers a diverse range of businesses and activities across WBA’s interests outside of the US. You will operate as part of our independent and objective team to provide assurance to the WBA Board, Audit Committee and other key stakeholders in relation to the effectiveness of governance, risk management and internal, and make recommendations to support their improvement.
The role of Senior Auditor exists to plan and deliver specific assigned audits from the Annual Audit Plan.
The team’s International Segment covers all Boots retail businesses in the UK and overseas (WBA-owned – UK, Ireland, Thailand and Franchise/Third Party), Global Brands (including No7 Beauty Company, WBA Global Sourcing, WBA Healthcare Futures), pharmaceutical wholesale activities in Germany, WBAD and the various equity method investments.
The role requires specialist internal audit expertise, practical experience, and knowledge of broader areas including governance, risk management and internal control.
The Senior Auditor will be responsible for delivering audit reviews to time, cost and quality. Reviews typically involve:
Financial Controls - transactional and reporting processes;
Operational Controls - ensuring that business processes operate effectively, efficiently and in line with relevant policies and legislation;
- IT Controls – ensuring systems are appropriately managed, maintained and controlled
- Programme assurance – ensuring that where changes occur (e.g. business transformation, system implementations) these are appropriately controlled; and
- Specific-scope compliance reviews – working with other WBA functions to cover specific compliance activities.
- The degree and pace of change in WBA is significant. The Senior Auditor will be required to stay current with key changes, understand the implications for risk and control, and reflect these in their work.
- Planning and conducting each audit to ensure it is delivered to time, cost and quality and in accordance with the methodology.
- Understanding and executing a range of audit techniques including data analysis; adapting approaches to test process effectiveness and efficiency.
- Auditing core IT General Controls.
- Reviewing the completion and quality of audit work performed by peer and/or less experienced team members.
- Validating findings with auditees and management.
- Producing clear, balanced and challenging high-quality draft reports for review by the Audit Manager which summarise all identified audit findings.
- Developing and agreeing with auditees and management, over which the role has no authority, actions which are adequate, appropriate and proportionate to remediate the risk.
- Working with broader WBA functions including those involved in the second line of defence.
- Working with relevant stakeholders to track the completion of actions.
- Coordinating teams and individuals – where applicable, motivating, leading, coaching and supporting team members to ensure skills, knowledge and experience are shared.
- Working across diverse geographies and businesses, requiring relevant business knowledge, networking and relationship building skills, as well as the ability to recognise and adapt to different cultures.
- Formalized role to support the delivery of the team’s strategic improvement projects.
- Professional qualification (ACA, CIMA, ACCA, MBA, CMIIA or equivalent) or (formally) qualified auditor.
- Technical expertise and knowledge of internal audit practice, governance, risk management and internal control with relevant practical experience.
- Strong academic qualifications including a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Written and verbal communication skills with ability to translate and/or summarise technical issues.
- Project management and organizational skills.
- Naturally inquisitive, self-motivated with attention to detail.
- Basic level of experience of advanced audit techniques including programme assurance, contract risk, data analytics and risk/control advisory.
- Basic knowledge of financial reporting standards (US GAAP, IFRS), Sarbanes Oxley type compliance programmes; auditing large programmes and knowledge of programme governance frameworks (PRINCE2, Agile, MSP) is highly desirable.
- Building relationships and managing stakeholders.
- Auditing core IT General Controls.
- Facilitating discussions, negotiating and persuading auditees and senior management; challenging appropriately whilst maintaining a flexibility to achieve the appropriate outcome.
- Ability to operate individually and in a team, demonstrating adaptability to ensure successful delivery of team and personal objectives.
- Experience of coordinating teams and individuals including motivating, leading, coaching, developing and supporting individuals.
- Experience of working internationally including across cultures is desirable.
What’s in it for you:
- We have a great range of benefits that go beyond salary and offer flexibility to suit you:
- Competitive holiday allowance
- Retirement Savings Plan pension scheme
- Discretionary annual bonus scheme
- Enhanced Maternity / Paternity / Adoption leave pay
- Flexible benefits scheme including personal medical insurance (exclusions may apply, eligible roles only)
- Access to our Employee Assistance Programme offering free, independent and confidential counselling and support, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Generous staff discount (with enhanced discounts for Boots brands, Boots Opticians and Boots Hearingcare)
- Access to corporate third-party discounts, including retail, cinema, holidays and more (UK only)
- Access to a range of learning and development resources and programmes
Who we are
Walgreens Boots Alliance (Nasdaq: WBA) is an integrated pharmacy, healthcare and retail leader serving millions of customers and patients every day, with a 170-year heritage of caring for communities.
A trusted, global innovator in retail pharmacy with approximately 13,000 locations across the U.S., Europe and Latin America, WBA plays a critical role in the healthcare ecosystem. The company is reimagining local healthcare and well-being for all as part of its purpose – to create more joyful lives through better health. Through dispensing medicines, improving access to a wide range of health services, providing high quality health and beauty products and offering anytime, anywhere convenience across its digital platforms, WBA is shaping the future of healthcare.
The company is proud of its contributions to healthy communities, a healthy planet, an inclusive workplace and a sustainable marketplace. WBA has been recognized for its commitment to operating sustainably: it is an index component of the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI) and was named to the 100 Best Corporate Citizens 2021.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Our vision is to create a culture where diversity, equity and inclusion are at the centre of everything we do; powering greater teamwork and innovation and inspiring us to help people across the world lead happier, healthier lives.
You might also be interested in
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs on searching for jobs, applications, interviews and other commonly asked questions