About the opportunity
We are looking for a Lead UX Designer to join our thriving UX team at Boots UK. As part of the Digital Transformation team, the UX function drives a strong culture of learning and evangelising user-centred design culture that sits at the core of everything we do.
Part of your role will be to lead, coach and develop UX designers and researchers and work alongside product managers and business stakeholders to deliver a great user experience and help deliver our long-term strategy. You will work closely withing your product function as part of our team of UX designers, researchers, optimisation and content specialists.
About the role
• Be the UX leader in your area, leading all design activities from the initial UX discovery through to the delivery of completed designs
• You will run and facilitate workshops either remotely or in-person. Workshops may explore business problem statements, create discovery plans or simply explore design solutions depending on what is required.
• Be able to confidentially evangelise the UX team and demonstrate the value that your designs will bring to the organisation and overall customer experience
• Triangulate all types of customer insight from online analytics, user research, a/b testing, and customer surveys to help deliver the best experience for our customers.
• You will support, where needed, the production of wireframes, user flows, prototypes, UI designs
• Ensure Boots products are accessible to everyone. This includes ensuring all design output within your area is in accordance with WCAG accessibility standards, including developer QA testing support where needed
• Ensure that your designs are responsive according to all screen sizes supported by Boots. This includes consistent monitoring of the ever-changing landscape of screen sizes
• Coach, mentor and provide leadership to any respective team members that you may inherit, ensuring that their personal development is a priority
• Stay current with emerging technology, industry best practices and design trends/patterns, thinking about how these can be applied to our business.
● You will have extensive experience in the UX/Product Design field, working ideally in an agile software development environment
● Relevant degree in HCI, interactive/multimedia design, computer science or equivalent
● Strong digital senior/lead with the ability to flex throughout our User Centred Design (UCD) process
● Familiar with different UX research testing methodologies (inc. quantitate and qualitative, face-to-face and remote)
● Knowledge of responsive design techniques, Information architecture (IA), Visual design (UI), Interaction design (IxD)
● Designing for accessibility compliance to level AA of the WCAG 2.1 guidelines
● Designing within corporate brand style guides and design principles
● Agile and lean methodologies (beneficial)
● Strong user of relevant wireframing, visual design and prototyping tools (e.g. Axure, Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, InVision, etc.).
● Ability to confidently use analytics and insights to support design decisions (eg. Google Analyics, Adobe, Clarabridge, Sessioncam, Decibel)
● Articulate your ideas well with the ability to tell stories, pitch and influence design rationale in a language appropriate for your audience
Benefits of being part of the Boots UX team:
● Be part of the high performing, talented and caring team, who are responsible for designing Boots future digital experience
● Opportunity to develop practitioner skill set through coaching and mentoring from fellow UX and UI practitioners with a variety of experience and backgrounds
● The mix of being in the retail sector, with an omnichannel presence and an established brand identity, offers diverse and stretching design projects
• Competitive holiday allowance (with the option to buy more days)
• Boots Retirement Savings Plan pension scheme
• Discretionary annual bonus scheme
• Enhanced Maternity / Paternity / Adoption leave pay
• £100 gift card for colleagues expecting/adopting a baby
• Flexible benefits scheme (via salary sacrifice) including financial wellbeing support, gym membership, holiday buying, dental cover, life assurance, restaurant discount cards, activity passes and much more (exclusions may apply, eligible roles only)
• Access to our Employee Assistance Programme offering free, independent and confidential counselling and support, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
• Generous staff discount (with enhanced discounts for Boots brands, Boot Opticians and Boots Hearingcare)
• Access to corporate third-party discounts, including retail, cinema, holidays and more (UK only)
• Access to the Boots Benevolent Fund, a registered charity that offers support to eligible current and former colleagues in the UK, as well as their immediate relatives, at times of financial hardship.
• Access to a range of learning and development resources and programmes
• Excellent onsite facilities including: staff shop, opticians, gym, coffee shops, cafeteria, outdoor seating spaces, dry cleaning service and excellent travel links including on campus bus stops – Support Office only
*All rewards and benefits are subject to change and eligibility.
Our mission is to help everyone to feel good. This starts internally – with every colleague and every team. In our stores and pharmacies, our warehouses and our Support Office, we work together, putting our customers first and our colleagues at the heart of everything we do. We aim to attract, develop and retain the best people, with a huge range of opportunities for you to continue to grow with us… just bring your passion and commitment and we’ll do the rest.
Diversity, equity and inclusion is at the centre of everything we do in our business. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, passionate about embracing the diversity of our colleagues and providing a positive and inclusive working environment for all.
At Boots we're proud to offer our Support Office team members a hybrid working approach because how we work is central to our ability to compete, innovate and win together. Our hybrid, flexible approach to work is based upon empowerment, accountability, care and trust and includes a balanced mix of remote and office-based working.
If your application is successful, our in-house recruitment team will be in touch to arrange an interview and to answer any initial questions you have. If you have not been successful on this occasion you will be notified by email.
You might also be interested in
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs on searching for jobs, applications, interviews and other commonly asked questions