User Experience (UX) Designer
About the opportunity
We are looking for a middleweight UX designer to join our high performing team of specialist user experience design experts. Your role is an amazing opportunity to play a part in creating the future digital experience of Boots, with a feature packed roadmap ahead of us. As part of the Digital Transformation Team, the user experience designers create beautiful, simple and coherent digital experiences for our customers, however they choose to interact with us. Your role is essential to researching, designing and delivering best in class user experience (UX) and user interface (UI) work for new development projects, spanning the entirety of the design process. You’ll work closely with the UX Lead, Product Owner and Scrum Team to ensure successful communication of concepts and designs.
• At the beginning of a project, you will support researching and defining the right experience. Balancing the customer needs, the business goals and technical restrictions. Tasks include heuristic reviews, competitor/comparative reviews, analytics and insights analysis, customer missions and mindsets, persona needs, omnichannel reviews, experience mapping, problem statements and sketching.
• During the design production phase, you will be responsible for the production and delivery of all user journeys, user flows, sitemaps, wireframes, visual designs, high and low fidelity prototypes, user testing, sign off, documentation and hand over to technical build.
• All design work must ensure global experience coherency, accessibility compliance and all devices/channels are considered throughout.
• Whilst you will work within our User Centred Design (UCD) process, design principles and brand style guides, you must be able to challenge and evolve these when appropriate.
• Stay current with emerging technology, industry best practices and design trends/patterns, thinking about how these can be applied to our business.
● Digital design experience, with supporting portfolio of work
● Relevant degree in HCI, interactive/multimedia design, computer science or similar (beneficial)
● Responsive design
● Designing for accessibility compliance to level AA of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
● Designing within brand style guides and design principles (beneficial)
● App design (beneficial)
● Ecommerce design (beneficial)
● Working understanding of Front End Development (beneficial)
● Agile and lean methodologies (beneficial)
● Strong digital designer with the ability to flex across UX & UI throughout our User Centred Design (UCD) process
● Information architecture (IA)
● Visual design (UI)
● Interaction design (IxD)
● Power user of relevant wireframing, visual design and prototyping tools (e.g. Axure, Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, InVision, etc.).
● Familiar with different user research and testing methodologies, quant and qual, face-to-face and remote.
● Ability to confidently use analytics and insights to support design decisions
● Articulate with the ability to storytell, pitch and influence design rationale in a language appropriate for your audience
● Stakeholder management at all levels and cross functionally
● Determined, motivated and curious to learn
● Able to manage time/ workload across multiple projects and multi-task under pressure
● Resilience to a changing landscape and new ways of working
● Team player
We have a great range of benefits* that go beyond salary and offer flexibility to suit you:
• Competitive holiday allowance (with the option to buy more days)
• Boots Retirement Savings Plan pension scheme
• Discretionary annual bonus scheme
• Enhanced Maternity / Paternity / Adoption leave pay
• £100 gift card for colleagues expecting/adopting a baby
• Flexible benefits scheme (via salary sacrifice) including financial wellbeing support, gym membership, holiday buying, dental cover, life assurance, restaurant discount cards, activity passes and much more (exclusions may apply, eligible roles only)
• Access to our Employee Assistance Programme offering free, independent and confidential counselling and support, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
• Generous staff discount (with enhanced discounts for Boots brands, Boot Opticians and Boots Hearingcare)
• Access to corporate third-party discounts, including retail, cinema, holidays and more (UK only)
• Access to the Boots Benevolent Fund, a registered charity that offers support to eligible current and former colleagues in the UK, as well as their immediate relatives, at times of financial hardship.
• Access to a range of learning and development resources and programmes
• Excellent onsite facilities including: staff shop, opticians, gym, coffee shops, cafeteria, outdoor seating spaces, dry cleaning service and excellent travel links including on campus bus stops – Support Office only
*All rewards and benefits are subject to change and eligibility.
Our mission is to help everyone to feel good. This starts internally – with every colleague and every team. In our stores and pharmacies, our warehouses and our Support Office, we work together, putting our customers first and our colleagues at the heart of everything we do. We aim to attract, develop and retain the best people, with a huge range of opportunities for you to continue to grow with us… just bring your passion and commitment and we’ll do the rest.
Diversity, equity and inclusion is at the centre of everything we do in our business. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, passionate about embracing the diversity of our colleagues and providing a positive and inclusive working environment for all.
At Boots we're proud to offer our Support Office team members a hybrid working approach because how we work is central to our ability to compete, innovate and win together. Our hybrid, flexible approach to work is based upon empowerment, accountability, care and trust and includes a balanced mix of remote and office-based working.
Applications MUST include a portfolio, case studies or samples of work.
If your application is successful, our in-house recruitment team will be in touch to arrange an interview and to answer any initial questions you have. If you have not been successful on this occasion you will be notified by email.
If you have any questions about this vacancy, please contact email@example.com
You might also be interested in
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs on searching for jobs, applications, interviews and other commonly asked questions