Lead Software Engineer
Boots Tech is looking for an enthusiastic, inventive Lead Software Engineer. You'll help craft, develop and deploy solutions that drive our digital business transformation and products that inspire millions of Boots customers. You will write top quality code and build innovative performant software whilst bringing ideas, energy and leadership to the table.
This is a unique opportunity to be involved with the development of new online services at the beginning of a bold transformation. We are looking for Lead Engineers who will work with us to shape the digital retail landscape for the 21st century.
About the opportunity
Lead Engineers are responsible for overseeing the work of multiple SCRUM teams; managing Engineers to drive code quality and embedding development best practice. Your responsibilities will be:
• Act as an Engineering Lead working across multiple SCRUM teams supporting and mentoring developers and team leads.
• Assist Scrum Masters, Product Owners and Team Leads with prioritisation, planning and estimation activities.
• Build solutions using agreed architectural patterns and to work with Solutions Architects to inform system design.
• Ensure systems are developed according to enterprise approved architectural patterns.
• Undertake Code Reviews with other developers.
• Drive forward development innovation within a fast-paced delivery environment.
• Help shape the Boots Engineering Standards, Principles and Patterns.
• You will have a degree in computer science or demonstrable experience in a similar role
• You will have previously worked in a role as a Senior Developer and will have demonstrable development experience ideally within a microservices stack.
• You will be excited about leading and mentoring other developers; supporting code reviews and coaching to improve development standards.
• You will be excited about working with current technologies that support microservice development. We are particularly keen to speak with candidates who have experience of leading teams using ReactJS/NodeJS, Mongo, Azure Service Bus, Storybook, Jest/Enzyme.
• Experience of working with Git and a familiarity within automated CI/CD pipelines orchestrated using Azure Devops.
• Experience of Behaviour Driven Development (BDD) and Test-Driven Development (TDD) would be a big advantage.
• Experience of mobile app development would be an advantage.
IT is at the centre of what we do.
This is retail IT for the real world, you’re so close to your customers in all ways – in store, online and internally.
You can get involved with all the different areas of our business, working on projects that make a real difference – from our hugely successful Boots App to our world-class warehousing system.
We place so much value on our IT team – if you want to build a career that will keep developing with your skills, there’s no better place to do it.
Boots UK is part of the Retail Pharmacy International Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance and is the UKs leading pharmacy-led health and beauty retailer. With over 2500 stores in the UK our purpose is to help our customers look and feel better than they ever thought possible. You can learn more by visiting boots.jobs.
We have a great range of benefits that go beyond salary and offer flexibility to suit you:
• Competitive salary
• Maternity / Paternity / Adoption leave pay
• Boots Pension Scheme
• Competitive holiday allowance
• Generous staff discount (Boots, Boot Opticians and Boots Hearing Care)
• £100 gift card for colleagues expecting/adopting a baby
• Access to corporate discounts, including retail, cinema, holidays etc (UK only)
• Discretionary annual bonus scheme
• Access to our Employee Assistance Programme
• Flexible benefits scheme (via salary sacrifice) including financial wellbeing support, gym membership, dental cover, life assurance, restaurant discount cards, activity passes, holiday buying and much more (exclusions may apply, eligible roles only)
• Onsite staff shop, opticians, gym, coffee shops, cafeteria, dry cleaning service and excellent travel links
*All rewards and benefits are subject to change and eligibility.
In joining the Boots IT and Data functions you will be able to access; The WBA IT Academy, BCS up to the level of fellow, the ISF for professional development in the Cyber Security and Information Governance arena, HIMSS for certification in the use of digital healthcare, CHIME for globally recognised qualification in the delivery of digital healthcare. Additionally a series of internal capabilities are also available to all members of the team including regular connections to the full team delivering change through technology at Boots. The team ethos is one of shared learning and the team will support attendance at public learning throughout the UK and the onward sharing of this within the team.
The Boots IT and Data functions have a well established diversity, equity and inclusion model and charter known as Inclusive IT that strives to make allies of everyone who works within the team.
Our mission is to help everyone to feel good. This starts internally – with every colleague and every team. In our stores and pharmacies, our warehouses and our Support Office, we work together, putting our customers first and our colleagues at the heart of everything we do. We aim to attract, develop and retain the best people, with a huge range of opportunities for you to continue to grow with us… just bring your passion and commitment and we’ll do the rest.
Diversity, equity and inclusion is at the centre of everything we do in our business. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, passionate about embracing the diversity of our colleagues and providing a positive and inclusive working environment for all.
We offer a variety of flexible working patterns to support our colleagues to achieve a good work life balance, just speak to our Recruitment team to find out more.
If your application is successful, our in-house recruitment team will be in touch to arrange an interview and to answer any initial questions you have. If you have not been successful on this occasion you will be notified by email.
If you have any questions about this vacancy, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
You might also be interested in
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs on searching for jobs, applications, interviews and other commonly asked questions