Assistant Product Manager – Gastro
Secondment/Fixed Term Contract: 12-13 months
As an APM, you will be responsible for delivering the Boots brand product strategy & 3-year product pipeline on Gastro. Arguably, Wind relief & Diarrhoea may not initially sound glamorous to you, but Gastro is a hugely important category, not only to our customers but also our Boots Brand value. In fact, Boots Brand is already the Number. 1 Gastro brand in Boots UK, worth over £9.4 million! The UK market now surpasses £333 million, & continues to grow in spite of market dynamics, hence if your excited to work on a category with lots of opportunity to go after, look no further!
About the opportunity
You’ll lead the end-to-end product development to deliver these plans, from creating compelling, consumer-led concepts through to delivering the finished product on shelf. You’ll react fast to changing product trends & consumer needs, identifying opportunities to add value to the business & while meeting customer needs better than ever before. You’ll roll out the new Boots brand visual identity to all products in your categories to bring them in line with the retail brand identity, and you’ll also support the Product Manager in shaping the 3YP NPD pipeline for one of our most important categories in line with Boots new healthcare strategy.
You’ll work closely with your colleagues in the technical, regulatory & product delivery teams & your design agency partners to bring your products, and their associated claims, to life in the most compelling way. You’ll build strong relationships with the marketing & commercial teams to activate your products in a way that challenges perceptions of High Street Healthcare.
- You will report to the Product Manager of Cough Cold
- You will work on one of our biggest focus categories in Healthcare; Gastro, as well as maintaining how we show up in Eyecare & Seasonal health.
- You’ll be relentlessly passionate about products and your consumers, and will lead for deeply engrained product understanding across your cross functional team
- You will need to be equally comfortable working within a stringently regulated medical environment (working across a range of different product classifications, from medicines, to medical devices and food supplements) as you are exploring evolving proactive health space
- You will take ownership of the end to end product development for your brands, from concept creation through to ensuring the on time delivery and sufficiency of the product plans
- You’ll be responsible for mapping market & category trends and opportunities, translating macro trends into micro product attributes across packaging, formulation, fragrance & design
- You can demonstrate a deep understanding of manufacturing and production methods of the category. Your colleagues will look to you for your knowledge in our supplier’s capabilities and assets
Are you passionate about products? Are you the “they really should invent that” one at the dinner table? Do you have experience distilling complexity into simple consumer messaging?
In addition to the above, the following skills are strongly sought:
- Demonstrate experience in end to end product development
- Ideally, you’d have experience navigating a tightly regulated environment, such as healthcare, to produce compelling consumer propositions
- You’re articulate & write well – this role is pretty copy-heavy, from pack copy writing & brand toolkit messaging to sell-in presentations
- You’re passionate about good design – you can talk articulately about pack message hierarchies, claims wording, iconography and colour, and have ideas about what you’d do differently in healthcare space
- You are relationship builder and have experience working in cross functional teams
- You spot opportunities where others don’t – you can demonstrate your experience executing on this
- You’re passionate & thrive on delivering good products quickly – you challenge the status quo
We have a great range of benefits* that go beyond salary and offer flexibility to suit you:
- Competitive holiday allowance (with the option to buy more days)
- Boots Retirement Savings Plan pension scheme
- Discretionary annual bonus scheme
- Enhanced Maternity / Paternity / Adoption leave pay
- £100 gift card for colleagues expecting/adopting a baby
- Flexible benefits scheme (via salary sacrifice) including financial wellbeing support, gym membership, holiday buying, dental cover, life assurance, restaurant discount cards, activity passes and much more (exclusions may apply, eligible roles only)
- Access to our Employee Assistance Programme offering free, independent and confidential counselling and support, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Generous staff discount (with enhanced discounts for Boots brands, Boot Opticians and Boots Hearingcare)
- Access to corporate third-party discounts, including retail, cinema, holidays and more (UK only)
- Access to the Boots Benevolent Fund, a registered charity that offers support to eligible current and former colleagues in the UK, as well as their immediate relatives, at times of financial hardship.
- Access to a range of learning and development resources
- Excellent onsite facilities including: staff shop, opticians, gym, coffee shops, cafeteria, outdoor seating spaces, dry cleaning service and excellent travel links including on campus bus stops
Our mission is to help everyone to feel good. This starts internally – with every colleague and every team. In our stores and pharmacies, our warehouses and our Support Office, we work together, putting our customers first and our colleagues at the heart of everything we do. We aim to attract, develop and retain the best people, with a huge range of opportunities for you to continue to grow with us… just bring your passion and commitment and we’ll do the rest.
Diversity, equity and inclusion is at the centre of everything we do in our business. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, passionate about embracing the diversity of our colleagues and providing a positive and inclusive working environment for all.
At Boots we're proud to offer our Support Office team members a hybrid working approach because how we work is central to our ability to compete, innovate and win together. Our hybrid, flexible approach to work is based upon empowerment, accountability, care and trust and includes a balanced mix of remote and office-based working.
If your application is successful, our in-house recruitment team will be in touch to arrange an interview and to answer any initial questions you have. If you have not been successful on this occasion you will be notified by email.
If you have any questions about this vacancy, please contact email@example.com
You might also be interested in
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs on searching for jobs, applications, interviews and other commonly asked questions