We’re looking for an experienced Technical Architect to join our growing Infrastructure Technical Architecture team within WBA. This is a permanent role with the flexibility to work from the comfort of your own home or in our vibrant Boots head office in Nottingham.
By joining the Infrastructure Technical Architecture team, you will be providing direction, architecture building blocks and governance for design activity across Walgreens Boots Alliance. You’ll report to the Lead Technical Architect, as part of the Architecture & Design practice within WBA’s Technology Services function. Covering a portfolio of work for different programmes, projects and other initiatives, you will help IT drive the technology agenda in-line with the Enterprise Architecture strategy.
Do you have experience in providing infrastructure architecture within a large enterprise environment? If so, we’d love to hear from you!
What you'll be doing:
- Provide technical leadership and consultancy for cross-functional and cross-technology projects. This will include engaging internal IT teams and 3rd party vendors across Walgreens Boots Alliance. Providing outline architectures, building blocks and direction for end-to-end solutions to meet the requirements of the business and ensure these are successfully delivered.
- Work with Enterprise Architects and Solution Designers to maintain appropriate architecture documentation to support IT solutions
- Work with Global Service Owners and architects to identify opportunities, and building solutions as per the defined strategies to offer new technology, service improvements and operating models.
- Define technical architecture and technical roadmap design, along with the supporting architecture principles and patterns.
- Participate in project governance bodies, for the approval of solution design, along with quality assurance in divisional and broader group IT governance where appropriate.
- Be an active team member of the Architecture & Design practice and support colleagues through collaborative peer reviews, standards compliance checks and due diligence.
- Work with the delivery and operations teams to support problem resolution as a point of escalation for root cause analysis and remediation planning.
- Ability to take a creative approach to problem solving, with a passion to be both deeply technical but also bring that back to an outline view for consumption.
- Ability to write clear and sharp technical documentation covering but not limited to outline architectures, infrastructure building block design and evolution roadmap. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Must be able to effectively work with various customers, from senior leadership to 3rd party vendors. The ability to rapidly understand the business, commercial and technical requirements to build solutions is vital.
- Possesses a broad knowledge of technology areas such as infrastructure, transformation and migration, security, business analysis, applications, integration, service management and understands how these interact to arrive to a solution.
- A deep understanding and functional experience of at least four different technology areas (network solutions, security solutions, telephony, server infrastructure, client mobility, private and public cloud technology, office 365, database platforms, Unix/Linux and the Microsoft enterprise product suite).
- Experience of secondary technologies and skills (middleware, Citrix, system management / monitoring, web application development, formal methods such as TOGAF, ITIL, COBIT, AGILE, data protection and compliance standards such as PCI-DSS, GDPR), containerisation and microservices).
Who we are
IT is at the centre of what we do. This is retail IT for the real world, you’re so close to your customers in all ways – in store, online and internally.
You can get involved with all the different areas of our business, working on projects that make a real difference – from our hugely successful Boots App to our world-class warehousing system.
We place so much value on our IT team – if you want to build a career that will keep developing with your skills, there’s no better place to do it.
Boots UK is part of the Retail Pharmacy International Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance and is the UKs leading pharmacy-led health and beauty retailer. With over 2500 stores in the UK our purpose is to help our customers look and feel better than they ever thought possible. You can learn more by visiting boots.jobs.
- We have a great range of benefits that go beyond salary and offer flexibility to suit you:
- Competitive salary
- Maternity / Paternity / Adoption leave pay
- Boots Pension Scheme
- Competitive holiday allowance
- Generous staff discount (Boots, Boot Opticians and Boots Hearing Care)
- £100 gift card for colleagues expecting/adopting a baby
- Access to corporate discounts, including retail, cinema, holidays etc (UK only)
- Discretionary annual bonus scheme
- Access to our Employee Assistance Programme
- Flexible benefits scheme (via salary sacrifice) including financial wellbeing support, gym membership, dental cover, life assurance, restaurant discount cards, activity passes, holiday buying and much more (exclusions may apply, eligible roles only)
- Onsite staff shop, opticians, gym, coffee shops, cafeteria, dry cleaning service and excellent travel links
- *All rewards and benefits are subject to change and eligibility.
If your application is successful, our in-house recruitment team will be in touch to arrange an interview and to answer any initial questions you have. If you have not been successful on this occasion you will be notified by email.
You might also be interested in
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs on searching for jobs, applications, interviews and other commonly asked questions