Solution Architect – Engineering & Digital
Boots Tech is looking for an enthusiastic Solution Architect to work within a growing team – designing enterprise grade, scalable solutions for customer facing digital products and helping Boots to succeed in a unique transformation of its Digital Retail and Digital Healthcare offerings on a rich Micro-services Architecture based platform. The role will operate in a hybrid working model at the Boots Support Office in Nottingham.
Digital Retail and Digital Healthcare at Boots has experienced a surge in growth in recent years and there is significant investment to improve the systems and services that underpin Boots.com and the Boots Mobile Apps to help provide customers with exceptional omni-channel experiences.
Mid-way through an adventure packed headless migration from an established Ecommerce Platform (HCL Commerce), Boots has built a Microsoft Azure based Micro-services platform that leverages PaaS / Cloud Native services (incl. Azure Kubernetes Services, Azure Service Bus and Cosmos to name a few) to successfully enrich customer experiences using NodeJS and ReactJS. It is also migrating many other capabilities to leverage / integrate with industry leading products and SaaS solutions.
About the opportunity
This is an exciting time to join a fantastic team to help shape the future of customer facing products used by millions in a key role as an accountable Solution Architect. Reporting into a Lead Solution Architect, the successful candidate will:
• Define Architecture Runways and Target End State Visions by working with Product Managers and Enterprise Architects to understand business objectives and long-term strategies
• Document design thinking in Confluence pages using templates, adhering to a Boots Digital abstraction and notation of the C4 Model, using Patterns and Principles where available and illustrating solutions using structured diagrams
• Drive conversations with other Business Stakeholders, Solution Architects, Lead Engineers, Tech Leads and SMEs (incl. Security, Service Management, Test and Environments) to determine the best solution for Boots
• Make Key Architectural Decisions with sound justification and apply Governance through presentation of solutions at Architecture Review Boards, Design Authorities and Design Forums in order to gain approval
• Communicate effectively and provide Technical Leadership to implementing scrum teams, working in quarterly Programme Increments and fortnightly Sprints under a Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) to successfully deliver solutions and provide end-to-end ownership through the software delivery lifecycle
Suitable candidates will have:
• Broad understanding/awareness of concepts and paradigms across domains of IT Architecture (including Business, Data, Application and Technology), Security and Integration; with a specialisation in Application Architecture focussing on designing / implementing commercial solutions for end-user Digital touchpoints (websites, Mobile Apps, APIs), preferably in an Ecommerce environment
• Ability to communicate effectively and influence technical and non-technical stakeholders regarding complex solutions
• Experience documenting designs and illustrating solutions with diagrams (e.g. logical architecture and sequence diagrams) and presentation for technical peer review or approval at Design Authorities / Review Boards
• Knowledge of Cloud Native and Micro-services Architecture paradigms and principles, preferably with experience of designing solutions on Microsoft Azure and Kubernetes (AKS)
• Exposure to agile ways of working, preferably having worked in an organisation that adopts Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
IT is at the centre of what we do.
This is retail IT for the real world, you’re so close to your customers in all ways – in store, online and internally.
You can get involved with all the different areas of our business, working on projects that make a real difference – from our hugely successful Boots App to our world-class warehousing system.
We place so much value on our IT team – if you want to build a career that will keep developing with your skills, there’s no better place to do it.
Boots UK is part of the Retail Pharmacy International Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance and is the UKs leading pharmacy-led health and beauty retailer. With over 2500 stores in the UK our purpose is to help our customers look and feel better than they ever thought possible. You can learn more by visiting boots.jobs.
We have a great range of benefits that go beyond salary and offer flexibility to suit you:
• Competitive salary
• Maternity / Paternity / Adoption leave pay
• Boots Pension Scheme
• Competitive holiday allowance
• Generous staff discount (Boots, Boot Opticians and Boots Hearing Care)
• £100 gift card for colleagues expecting/adopting a baby
• Access to corporate discounts, including retail, cinema, holidays etc (UK only)
• Discretionary annual bonus scheme
• Access to our Employee Assistance Programme
• Flexible benefits scheme (via salary sacrifice) including financial wellbeing support, gym membership, dental cover, life assurance, restaurant discount cards, activity passes, holiday buying and much more (exclusions may apply, eligible roles only)
• Onsite staff shop, opticians, gym, coffee shops, cafeteria, dry cleaning service and excellent travel links
*All rewards and benefits are subject to change and eligibility.
Our mission is to help everyone to feel good. This starts internally – with every colleague and every team. In our stores and pharmacies, our warehouses and our Support Office, we work together, putting our customers first and our colleagues at the heart of everything we do. We aim to attract, develop and retain the best people, with a huge range of opportunities for you to continue to grow with us… just bring your passion and commitment and we’ll do the rest.
Diversity, equity and inclusion is at the centre of everything we do in our business. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, passionate about embracing the diversity of our colleagues and providing a positive and inclusive working environment for all.
We offer a variety of flexible working patterns to support our colleagues to achieve a good work life balance, just speak to our Recruitment team to find out more.
If your application is successful, our in-house recruitment team will be in touch to arrange an interview and to answer any initial questions you have. If you have not been successful on this occasion you will be notified by email.
If you have any questions about this vacancy, please contact email@example.com
Solution Architect – Engineering & Digital