Consumer Healthcare Innovation Manager (Science and Technology Expert)Job reference: 132907BR
Reporting directly to the Head of Development in the WBA Consumer Healthcare Futures team, the Technology Manager will collaborate with internal and external partners to build and deliver a $50-100m breakthrough innovation pipeline across multiple conditions and consumer need states. They will use scientific, technology development and project management expertise to lead cross-functional teams to develop new technology in product, digital technology and services into viable commercial propositions that can be quickly activated in WBA’s key international markets.
You will be able to demonstrate a successful track record in consumer focussed, non-drug, healthcare innovation including medical device, supplements and diagnostics innovation.
Purpose / Overall Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Your role is to manage the delivery of new technologies with partners which can step change the growth of the Walgreens/Boots Own Brand Healthcare business and
• Drive Boots/Walgreens Masterbrand equity as innovative Health and Wellbeing companies offering consumers accessible value & quality
• Make our own band a destination brand for healthcare and wellness -Inspire our customers & give them reasons to come to Boots/Walgreens through a differentiated own brand offer
• Drive volume, sales & profit in line with your 3 year plan ambitions
We want to grow our Own Brand Healthcare business with +6% over the next years by focussing on the key growth opportunities in Healthcare and Wellness and drive growth ahead of the category growth (+3.8%). This would result in a 3.5$bn business by 2025, +30% vs today (2.7$bn). This by focussing on our biggest markets US and UK/ROI, whilst also investigating the appropriate strategy to drive our Own Brand Healthcare business in Norway, Italy, Mexico, Chile, Thailand, Korea, the Gulf, etc where the brands are already present, and potentially China. Your role is to manage the delivery of new technologies with partners to feed the healthcare innovation pipeline, which will drive growth of the existing >$2.7 billion own brand healthcare products business.
Reporting directly to the Head of Development – Healthcare Technology (Global Healthcare Own Brand Innovation), within the Global Brands organisation, you work to ensure that the innovation pipeline and innovation capabilities across Own Brand Healthcare supports and delivers against future strategic and financial objectives. You will manage the delivery of new technologies with partners that feed the Healthcare innovation pipeline.
The scope and key responsibilities are:
• Undertake day to day delivery of global healthcare technology pipelines, as identified in technology roadmaps, across 2-3 focus areas (3YP value of ca $50m, spend ca£100k, 10-15 projects).
• Use scientific, technology development and project management expertise to lead x-functional teams across WBA and external partners to manage the development of technology into a viable, commercial proposition prior to hand-over to the local Product Delivery teams.
• Manage technology partners to deliver a broad range of potential technology opportunities that fill gaps in the healthcare roadmaps and can be curated and activated quickly across all key international markets.
• Technology opportunities will enable innovation in consumer healthcare and non-drug condition management (medical devices, supplements, homeopathy, etc) across different platforms: product, digital technology, services and innovative delivery and business models.
By bringing all our global healthcare differentiated innovation together we want to realise a number of important benefits:
• Ability to materialise healthcare growth opportunities through WBA exclusive differentiated innovation in terms of product, services, business models, etc across both health and wellness.
• Leveraging manufacturer and external development partnerships at scale across multiple markets
• Centre of Excellence to ensure consistent application of best practice and set up new markets
About your experience:
• Established and proven scientific credentials (degree/PhD) with 7+ years consumer product or pharmaceutical experience across technical & project management roles in pharma/CPG.
• Excellent technical understanding of the OTC and wider consumer health and wellness categories with experience in delivering new products across global medicines, medical devices, food and dietary supplement, cosmetic and biocide regulations as appropriate.
• Track record of delivering value through consumer insight-driven innovation and in building partner relationships with innovative organisations (academia, start-ups, supplier partners).
• International experience preferred, in particular very familiar with the US and UK markets
• Good financial acumen to ensure concepts can be brought to life as value-accretive business opportunities.
• Excellent cross-functional collaboration and ability to work effectively with diverse teams and external partners.
Detailed Capabilities Required:
• Accountable for relationships with our external technology partners to ensure key innovation projects are on time and always executed to highest possible standard
• Good understanding of consumer needs and ability to translate these into scientific or technology needs.
• Supports the innovation development from understanding unarticulated consumer needs and synthesizing insight from disparate data and multiple disciplines, to concept and in-market delivery.
A bit about us:
At Walgreens Boots Alliance – Global Brands, we believe in being PIONEERING, INSPIRATIONAL and CONNECTING with people. Our market leading brands such as No7, Liz Earle, Soap&Glory and YourGoodSkin touch the lives of millions all over the world. We put the consumer at the heart of everything we do using real time insights to activate brands and products on a global scale. With a passionate and innovative approach to Beauty and Healthcare, we are shaping the future of health and wellbeing for everyone. We are part of Walgreens Boots Alliance, a global leader in pharmacy-led retail with more than 18,500 stores globally, helping people live happier and healthier lives.
What we can offer you:
• 25 days annual leave, plus statutory bank holidays & option to buy an additional 5 days annual leave
• Annual discretionary bonus plan
• Market leading staff discount scheme including Boots Opticians - frames and contact lenses
• Competitive company pension scheme
• Flexible benefits scheme available ranging from private medical insurance, cycle to work scheme and many more
• Onsite Staff Shop, Opticians, Gym, Costa, Canteen and Dry Cleaning
To learn more about our functions, explore our brands and find opportunities all over the globe please visit: